The Portland Aerial Tram has become a fixture in Portland’s landscape. It’s hard to imagine what Portland’s skyline -- let alone commuting to and from OHSU and Portland’s South Waterfront -- was like 10 years ago. For five weeks this summer, we will relive those days while the tram is closed June 23 – July 30 for mandatory maintenance. If you rely on the tram to get to and from OHSU’s Marquam Hill Campus, please see commute recommendations below.
Tram Alternative Commuting Options
Although the Streetcar’s NS line will not be affected during the Tram’s five-week closure, people who take the NS line to get to the tram’s lower station will need to find an alternative. Consider these options:
Public Transit: Commute to the bus mall in downtown Portland and take TriMet’s No. 8 to/from Marquam Hill.
Walking: South Waterfront to Marquam Hill is walkable for the intrepid hiker. Plan for an elevation gain of 300 feet in 1.2 miles. You'll cross busy intersections and the trail to Terwilliger is a short, steep climb of padded dirt.
Public voting for the Portland Streetcar Mobile Music T-Shirt Design Contest is open through midnight on Friday, June 15, 2018 via Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. The two finalists are posted in a separate post on each site. Each “like” of Portland Streetcar's post of an entry counts as a vote. Likes will be combined with the votes cast in the Streetcar Customer Service Office to determine the final winner.
The Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 9, and will affect the Portland Streetcar system into the early afternoon. For the parade route, click here.
The A and B Loops will not operate until the parade has cleared, likely in the early afternoon. The NS Line will operate, but the parade route will cross the line on SW Washington at SW 10th and 11th Avenues. Expect delays as crowds arrive in the morning and streetcars move across the parade route.
The 9th Annual Portland Streetcar Mobile Music Fest will be held on Sunday, July 22nd.
Beginning at 1:00pm, every A Loop Streetcar beginning at the Portland State University Plaza will have live music from local artists on board. For the price of your Streetcar fare you can enjoy performances from returning favorites and new acts.
This year we are calling on local artists in the community for assistance with our first ever Mobile Music Fest T-Shirt Contest! Submit your entry for a chance to have your design chosen as the official t-shirt for the 2018 Portland Streetcar Mobile Music Fest.
Below are the rules and guidelines:
1. All submissions must be received by June 6th at 5pm.
2. A hard copy of each entry should submitted to the Portland Streetcar Customer Service Office at 1031 NW 11th Avenue. A jpg of the artwork should also be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for posting and online voting.
3. Entries will be available for viewing/voting during the First Thursday event at the Portland Streetcar Customer Service Office on June 7th.
3. By submitting an entry, contestants agree to allow Portland Streetcar to have intellectual property rights over the image and to adjust the submission in any way necessary for screen-printing.
4. We will only accept digital entries in three colors. We prefer final art to be vectored, color separated and in either .ai or .eps formats with PMS colors defined and noted for accuracy.
5. Each artist must acknowledge that each entry design is: (a) wholly original; (b) does not incorporate or include any material that would require the consent of any third party; and (c) does not violate any copyright, trademark, publicity right, privacy right, or any other right of any third party.
4. Please use adequate judgment in your designs. Any submissions deemed to have inappropriate material will be removed from the contest.
5. All submissions deemed appropriate will be on display and available for the public to vote on from June 7 – June 15. The final decision on design will be made by Portland Streetcar, Inc.
The winning artist will receive two tickets to a production in the Armory's 2018/2019 season and a $100 gift certificate to Paragon Restaurant.
The Streetcar Mobile Music Fest is an annual event that brings local musicians live on the Streetcar. For the price of a regular Streetcar fare, riders can enjoy some of Portland's most exciting artists performing while traversing the central city. This year's fest will be Sunday, July 22, in conjunction with the Green Loop Sunday Parkways.